Past Mistakes (and tweets)

Image result for trump tweeting

In this day and age everyone has social media. It’s not just for a certain age or type of person- everyone’s on it. With this usage from many people that spread over many beliefs, I quite often come into contact with ideas that I am shocked anyone can believe. For example, on twitter, I often see many people talking about Trump’s latest tweet and how he is discussing X issue but not Y issue. I see extreme amounts of people engaging in these tweets whether they agree or disagree with the statements he is making. However, many people have dug deep into Trump’s past- especially his tweets and have found a big connection full of irony and hypocrisy throughout his current actions and past tweets. For example, in Aaron Blake’s article, Trump’s old tweets are becoming a minefield of hypocrisy, he highlights the ways in which our President has contradicted himself from the past.  However, this idea of having our past actions come back to us is a scary thought. Although I have no sympathy for Trump, the idea that with media we can trace down our past beliefs and have it used against us is mind opening. It shows that in today’s day and age, no matter what we say or post on media, it can always come back to haunt us because once something is posted, it only takes one person to spread it to millions. This idea should be spread to everyone to create more technology awareness because what in we post, others can find insult to them. It makes me wonder, are we almost becoming too connected?

Comments

  1. I completely agree that media can be used as both a weapon and a distraction from real issues. The hypocrisy seen in Trump's old tweets goes to show how he has altered his positions on issues in order to appeal to a greater audience, prioritizing winning over the truth. In more recent times, by tweeting about controversial issues that are irrelevant to more serious issues, he has brought attention to himself, pitting his supporters against his critics in heated online debates that distract both groups from those serious issues. Even by reading and contemplating these tweets, we are allowing ourselves to be distracted from problems afflicting millions of Americans. Though social media itself is not the cause of our need to be entertained, it is the outlet through which the distractions reach us. I hope that by seeing his hypocrisy through Trump's old tweets, his current followers will learn to question their support for him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

even colleges advertise

the final reflection