the final reflection
In my everyday life I consume way too much media. I am
usually always on a various form of media whenever I am awake. I use media to
wake up, having a song as my alarm in the morning, am on my phone or looking at
the newspaper during breakfast, listening to music during passing period of
school and in the afternoon or night, I always check my phone whether it’s to
go on social media, text others or look up questions I have about homework online.
I find that all of this constant use of media heavily impacts my life. When I am
always looking at a screen or multitasking with media it not only affects my
overall health, but social interactions between others and my work ethic.
I notice that being aware of my media consumption
changes my interactions with media as it makes me constantly wonder why I use
media so often- especially social media as I don’t particularly enjoy what impacts
the media has on me but I feel the need to have and use it to stay connected
with others and what’s going on in the world.
My media consumption habits haven’t necessarily changed
this semester. Although I want to delete my accounts because I’ve realized that
I really don’t need them, I always find an excuse for my usage and worry that
without it, I won’t be connected to everyone around me. I have tried to
restrict myself from using my phone at times during the semester while I’m doing
my homework to stay more focused or while I’m at special events so I can really
live in the moment and experience the event to the fullest.
I believe that being an educated consumer is important
because without critical thinking skills, you can often be tricked into
thinking that through certain products you will achieve or find happiness. However,
as we know, buying items that are advertised to you won’t fulfill your needs
and will rather continue to be an endless cycle of consumerism.
From keeping this log I learned many things. I not
only got to express what I’m passionate about and connect it to the media and
its effects on my life, but also learn about my classmates perspectives of the
topics we were learning from reading their posts and commenting on it. It was
also nice to have a different type of assignment than the traditional essays,
worksheets or handwritten assignments we have in school.
Overall, through this experience I not only learned
how much effect media has in my everyday life and the impacts it has on me, but
I got to connect those ideas to the rest of society and how the use of media in
our world has caused tremendous impacts on the way we live our daily lives.
Comments
Post a Comment