my relationship with media


My relationship with media- especially social media has greatly changed for me over the last couple of years. Going into 7th grade I got social media. The change between elementary school and middle school was extremely different. Adding the element of social media added more pressure to be ‘popular’. Having that sort of connection to others added a sense of needing to fit in and have the most followers or most likes on your posts. I started following people that I myself didn’t know but rather people that were popular at nearby schools or friends of friends of friends who I had never met. However, it did make me more connected to people around me and I got to see what their life was like and what their life was like outside of how I knew them. Entering into high school social media has had a different impact on me. I started not caring as much of what I was posting and not feeling the need to update constantly. However, I still somewhat cared about how many followers or likes I had on my pictures and various accounts. A new type of Instagram popped up called finstas or ‘fake instas’ where you let your friends follow you because you couldn’t feel that you could share everything on your ‘real insta.’ Although I did get one, I now think this is quite interesting because with social media, we should feel that we can share things with people who follow us. However, because it is common to let others follow you who you don’t really know, the need for these finstas have become needed.
There have been many times where I have thought to delete my social medias. I find myself scrolling through various apps and wondering if I even need it. Part of the reason I think this is, is because I go to camp every summer where I get to unplug. I find it extremely refreshing and an amazing break from the realities of life. I find that I actually get to socialize with others in a completely different way that I am not able to back home where we are constantly surrounded by media. Because of this, the way I look at media has completely changed and I find myself paying more attention to my surroundings where I see everyone staring at their phone rather than interacting with each other. It just shows me how much we have changed as a society and become addicted to screens rather than being with people around us- something I have unfortunately done as well. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

even colleges advertise

the final reflection

Past Mistakes (and tweets)