the message in music
Everyone listens to music- whether they want to or not. It’s a daily part of our lives just like advertisements which we are constantly surrounded by. Different genres and eras of music have different messages throughout songs. One of the problems that people find with today’s music it spreads a bad message to youth. For example, when I’m in the car listening to the radio with my parents, I now listen to music of the 70s and 80s with them because they don’t like the music of today. Part of the reason for this is because of the sound of the music. However, the main reason they don’t enjoy music of today is because of the message that is spread. When looking at the top 100 songs I can see the problem they have. One of the top songs this year has been shape of you by Ed Sheeran. Although some people may love this songs, it features lyrics like “Me and my friends at the table doing shots” and “I'm in love with the shape of you/I'm in love with your body.” It’s quite understandable to see where parents dislike modern music as these lyrics can be considered inappropriate. The usage of media then spreads these songs to young listeners who may not understand the content in the songs. Then, these youth are taught the messages from the songs like drinking and sexualizing women-something that nobody wants their children to be singing or remembering. However, when looking at music from the past like the 60s one of the most popular songs was my girl by the temptations where it says,”I've got sunshine on a cloudy day with my girl.” Although it still talks about women, it references them in a much kinder way without talking about their body.
The change in our culture can be accounted for the messages in music as media has spread different thoughts overtime. Although women seem to be much more sexualized now then before, they do have more rights then in the past. However, I think as a culture we have tried to fight these messages, but when it comes to music it seems we don’t listen to the message that is spread, but rather care about the tune or artist of that song. It seems like until something is brought up about this issue, the messages throughout music will continue to be ones where we might not necessarily want people to actually read the lyrics and just listen to the song.
Comments
Post a Comment