looking back

Every year for the past 5 years I’ve found myself in a
similar situation. Over the summer for a couple weeks, I am whisked away from reality
and put into an unfamiliar situation from everyday life. These years I’ve spent
at camp have definitely impacted me in various ways. But most recently, I went
over winter break. I found that this experience was unlike any other I had had
there. Instead of the typical summer camp environment it had a strange feeling.
The eerie winter days and nights were offsetting as well. Unlike a 2 or 3 week
session, it was only a few days long.
Now all of this is great, but you may wonder how it
relates to media. I found that I didn’t have enough time to fully unwind from
the constant move of everyday life. Even without the screens around, myself and
everyone around me had a different type of vibe. We were still addicted to the never-ending
impact media had in our lives. Different from the typical camp experience, we
were in the haze of dealing with certain experiences from our current life. The
stresses of school and social media were shown prominently. Although everyone had
a wonderful time together reconnecting to summer friends from past years, we
craved our phones, computers and internet which we hadn’t yet detached from and
gotten out of our heads.
That being said, I want to relate this post to my
previous one titled “a pre-reflection.” In this post, I discussed the impact
camp has had on me and why friendships seem so much better without the involvement
of screens. In the study I referenced, it was found that interactions without
mobile devices had higher levels of empathetic concern, which I always have
felt during the summer. However, this recent experience was somewhat different
as it felt people were still attached to the heavily influenced ways of life
with screens. It makes me wonder, with the involvement of social media and
electronics, do we get the ‘real’ version of people, or a completely different
person when we talk through screens?
I can really relate to what you have written through a similar experience. Over the summer I broke my phone and was without it for a few days. Just like you I missed it and craved social media and other things about my phone for about a week. But when I got a new phone I realized how much I didn't need it and ever since then I have spent way less time on it the I used to.
ReplyDelete