streaks


Image result for snapchat streak picture

Many teens have them. They are a way of connection with friends or acquaintances so you’ll continue talking with them. So why are they so hard to end?
Snapchat has grown into something everyone uses and it seems it’s not going to stop. We constantly send pictures to streaks everyday so we will continue to have a streak with them. It forces us to be on our phone, and more specifically, on snapchat. Snapchat also features snap-scores where anyone can see the amount of pictures or videos people have sent to each other. Essentially, the only reason this is here is for others to compete and have a higher score, making them want to use snapchat more to achieve it. And although snapchat is a way for you to stay connected with others by showing people where you go and what you do, its main existence for daily use is streaks. And even this is a problem. The use of snapchat the way it is now makes us think that we need to update our snapchat friends so we can show how much fun our life is or how we always are traveling, with friends or eating out. We then continue the cycle of living our lives through screens- filming concerts and watching through our phones rather than enjoying the moment and really appreciating the music.
I myself find the need to have streaks. Although I constantly want to end them and stop using Snapchat, I always find a reason to not stop. It might be the reason that I love being able to talk to my friends with quick pictures showing something that has recently happened in my life and getting instant feedback from them.  But in the end we are addicted- to the scores, the streaks, and seeing what’s going on with others- easily connecting with them even if they live far away.  And for most people, it doesn’t seem that snapchat will end soon. For one, it appeals to our basic needs of affiliation and prominence. Snapchat uses this negatively as they make us worry that we will lose friends or not be close to them if we if we don’t have streaks. Basically, it’s the proof of friendship in our current society for some people. Also, while using snapchat, we want to have a high social status, be admired and respected. They make us think that with high scores or streaks, we will have this need fulfilled.
Next time you send a picture saying “kts” or streaks, think about why you might be doing so. Is it because we have been conditioned to feel like we need them or for a different reason? 

Comments

  1. I agree that snapchat is definitely a way to show off, compete, and 'rank' friendship. Like 20 minutes ago, I made an aesthetically pleasing smoothie bowl and I was like oh yeah! perfect streak material. I also sometimes look at other's snapscore, and I made it a goal in the beginning of freshman year to reach a score of 100,000. And the whole streak friendship ranking, I used to do that, but because my ex best friend (like actual best friend, not the one on sc) and I have a bigger streak than my current best friend, I stopped ranking my friends that way. This is such an awful way of communicating. If we are just 'saying' things to compete, then are we really speaking the truth? Really, really in depth article!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

even colleges advertise

the final reflection

Past Mistakes (and tweets)